Monday 6 October 2014

The Manchester Festival of Live Art and Experimental Performance.

On Saturday 4th October I went to the Manchester Festival of Live Art & Experimental Performance with my other half (who dutifully did the driving there and back) and my friend Ginger who does English Literature and Drama Studies at the University of Sheffield. She was the one who heard about the exhibition and thought that I might enjoy it :)

The exhibition was free and ran all day, covering a wide variety of live art performance. I have to admit I was a little surprised to find a room full of naked people! But, it really didn't take long to relax and see it more as an exhibition of art as oppose to just some naked people. If I am honest, by the time we were ready to leave I got the impression that live art performance is not live art performance if one is not naked.

The first piece we saw was 'KINDLING' by Peter Jacobs


I don't think I can describe this quite as well as the hand-out I was given has, so...

"An examination of the nature and value of reading and the printed word in an increasingly digital age. What is the value of printed books? And how can you control, manipulate and destroy education, ideas and narratives once transferred from page to human consciousness?
KINDLING explores the relationship between words and ideas, imagination and experience in a durational installation performance that questions why we read, the value of books as artefacts and where they take us individually and as a society."
                      
 If you'd like to know more about the artist and his work go to: peter-jacobs.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment